Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Anniversary

I said I wouldn't comment on any of our recent Netflix titles, but I know that Mike wants to comment on this film, so I might was well while I'm at it.
This was clearly "inspired" by "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and others in the dysfunctional family drama genre. Why is it always a vindictive mother or shrewish wife? Are there no nasty men out there? Or are they nasty in a different way?
Bette Davis is clearly having a great time camping it up as the "Manipulative Mother of the Year," and I know that many people rave about the "black comedy," but  I found it depressing and painful to watch. She knows each of her sons weak spots and not only sticks in the knife, she twists it and smiles.
I suppose you have to be in the right mood to find it funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment